When you’ve finished visiting all the Castles on offer, explored the fabulous Northumberland coastline, enjoyed walking, biking and climbing, and perhaps had a bit of retail therapy there’s always some sort of event on in Northumberland.
What’s on in Autumn in Northumberland
- Alnwick Beer Festival An annual event each September with lots of small breweries present from Northumberland and the North East.
- Alnwick Food Festival – A well established annual event that takes place each September, lots of celebrity chefs and fabulous food.
- Berwick Slow Food Festival. An annual event in the Autumn each year with talks, stalls, restaurant outings, producer visits and more.
- The Cheviots Challenge raises funds for the Northumberland National Park Rescue Team. It’s an annual event, and while this year’s is over now the website will carry details of the 2015 one in due course.
- The Northern Lights – If you’d like to see the Northern Lights in all their glory then Kielder Observatory is the place to visit, they have dates available up to the end of the year and offer a range of different events.
- The North Pennines Walking Festival. 25 walks and events in the second North Pennines Walking Festival. Details from their website.
- Bolam Lake Country Park has a Fungal Foray on October 12th 2014 and an Autumn Tree walk on October 26th 2014. Details from the Bolam Country Park Website.
- Farmers Markets – There’s a number of excellent farmers markets in Northumberland. Details of these for the rest of 2014 are available on the Northumberland Life Website.
- October 4th – Wooler Wheel Classic 100km and 50km rides.
- October 11th – Alwinton show – the last country show of the year in Northumberland.
What’s on in Winter in Northumberland
Northumberland is beautiful all year round and there is plenty to do in Winter too.
- Hexham Christmas Market 12th and 13th December.
What’s on in Spring in Northumberland
As the Spring bulbs burst out Northumberland has spectacular displays of snowdrops, daffodils and then bluebells.
- 10th to 12th April 2015 – The Morpeth Northumbrian Gathering. This is an annual 3 day event with street entertainment, music, dance and craft.
- The Northumberland County Show is always a great day out.
- May 1st sees the Riding of the Bounds in 20. This is a celebration of the fifteen mile ride to check security on the town’s boundaries keeping up old traditions.
- Shrove Tuesday Football – Every year on Shrove Tuesday at 2pm the Duke of Northumberland starts the game by throwing a football to the waiting crowd below from the battlements of Alnwick Castle. Spectators welcomed.
- Rothbury Food and Craft fair – this is held every May Bank Holiday Monday and has over 50 stalls now.
What’s on in Summer in Northumberland
Northumberland is busy all summer.
- 20th and 21st June 2015 – The Alnmouth Arts Festival
- 25-26th July 2015 – Castles Challenge Triathlon An annual event and the swim/bike/run courses cover stunning scenery and food and entertainment is on offer, making this a great family event.
- Brinkburn Priory Summer Music Festival. An annual event this classical music festival takes place at the beautiful Brinkburn Priory.
- Glendale Show in Wooler.
- 17th – 19th July 2015 Rothbury Traditional Music Festival. This is an annual event which takes place over a weekend in summer, with traditional country music including pipes, fiddles, bodrun, guitars, folks singing and poetry.